Thank you for your interest in Five Oaks Academy. Our admissions process is designed to ensure that our school is a good fit for both your child and your family. Five Oaks Academy families support our policy of educating the whole child. Educating the whole child prepares our students for life in the 21st century. Conflict resolution, decision making, individualized thinking, and identification of personal strengths are a part of every classroom. Your application to Five Oaks Academy implies a commitment to our three-year Montessori curriculum.
- We encourage all prospective parents to read our website and then visit our campus for a tour. Tours allow parents to observe the environment of a Montessori classroom during the school day. Tours may be scheduled by calling our office at 864-228-8121. Following the tour, parents will be given an enrollment packet. Enrollment packets include information describing the programs available at Five Oaks Academy as well as all the necessary application forms.
- Complete the online application and submit the required forms with the registration fee to the school office.
- Schedule an interview for your child.
- Applicants for the Pre-Primary program will visit the classroom for an informal interview for approximately 15 minutes.
- Applicants for the Primary program that are 3 and 4 years of age will visit the classroom for approximately 1 hour, without the parents.
- Applicants applying for the Primary (Kindergarten), Elementary, and Middle School programs are asked to schedule a day-long visit to the classroom.
- Schedule a parent interview with our Director.
- Upon completion of the application process, your child’s application will be sent to the Admissions Committee for consideration. The Admissions Committee will then issue a formal letter of acceptance or denial.
The selection of applicants is based upon admission standards which include teacher interviews with the child, academic assessments, behavior complementary to Montessori philosophy, and parental support and understanding of our Montessori program. Students already enrolled at Five Oaks Academy and siblings of currently enrolled students are given preference in enrollment.
The admissions process at Five Oaks Academy involves multiple steps. Our priority guiding this experience is to introduce the parent and child to Five Oaks Academy. This involves visiting the school, speaking with faculty and staff, speaking with current students, and exploring questions about Montessori education. Children are introduced to our community in ways that we expect to suit them developmentally. We have our younger applicants participate in short interviews with parents close by while we ask the older students to visit our classrooms for the entire day or more. The visit day to Five Oaks Academy is a key experience for the parents, child, and school. The parents will observe the impression the school community makes upon the child while also having an opportunity to speak with teachers, administration, and the director.
The child will experience a day at Five Oaks Academy and learn what this really means. This gives the child the chance to experience the work environment, the social environment, and to observe the teaching style of individual teachers. The teachers gain the opportunity through this process to observe the children within the environment in order to learn from the social and academic processes of the child. Applicants follow our admissions process. This involves, but is not limited to, parent interview, student interview, and submitting school records that include academic and disciplinary reports and any available test scores prior to the classroom visit day. To complement any standardized scores and reviews from current and former schools, we also administer the appropriate MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) test to elementary and middle school level students on the visit day. Primary applicants participate in an assessment of readiness and achievement administered by one of our primary faculty. Each applicant’s packet is formally reviewed by a team of faculty and administrators representing all levels and areas of our program. Before final acceptance, family members meet with the director to complete the initial orientation and information process. Five Oaks Academy is a school that thrives on a good fit for child, family, and school. The needs of the children take priority, followed by that of the family. Scholarships are available; families who may need this support are encouraged to apply for this benefit.